Pirates Without Borders
Anarchy is only 62 miles away!

3D Printing

cameron · 4 · 22036

cameron

• Precariat Designer
I know people have asked for STL files for their 3D printers. I tried creating an all-in-one manifold mesh that could be printed as one part, but it's way too difficult (I'd end up redrawing the entire ship again). I figured I should wait until the final design is nailed down (detachable cargo, etc.).

But I can post what I have to give you something to play with. There are 3 STL files posted here. One with the main body with all it's components. Another with the solar panels expanded. And a 3rd of the solar panels collapsed.

The files aren't perfect, but you can try using your 3D printing tools to separate and close the meshes. Please post your progress (with pictures!). Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

cameron

• Precariat Designer
Have been trying to manipulate the Precariat model for 3D printing (even though I don't own or have access to a 3D printer). Hoping people can test printing these files on their hardware and post photos.

Used Meshlab (meshlab.net) to "clean up" the model and reduce complexity to something more friendly to 3D printing. Then used Slicer (slic3r.org) to simulate setting up for 3D printing.

Since the model is irregularly shaped with no flat surfaces, I cut it into 3 pieces so it can be printed with minimal support material and be assembled after printing.

All the OBJ files are here https://precariat.us.to/3DPrinting

The lower section is here. It is printed upside down, so there is maximum material on the print bed. Some support material (shown in green) is required to support the main fans. If you rotate 45 degrees, you can get the most space from your print bed.
[attachment=2]Precariat-Lower.jpg[/attachment]

The upper section is here. It also has some support material for the ducted fans. Also rotate 45 degrees for maximum space, and print at the same scale as the lower section (so they match up when assembled).
[attachment=1]Precariat-Upper.jpg[/attachment]

The tail section is here. Also print to the same scale as the pieces above.
[attachment=0]Precariat-Tail.jpg[/attachment]

[continued in next post...]

cameron

• Precariat Designer
The detachable cargo hold is here (print to the same scale).
[attachment=0]Precariat-Cargo.jpg[/attachment]

The solar panels were difficult to orient, and require a lot of support material due to the "fan-fold" design. I don't recommend printing the panels. You can probably make something better by folding your own panels from sheets of paper or plastic. But here is the 3D file anyway.

(Too much support material)
[attachment=1]Precariat-Solar.jpg[/attachment]

Or if you want to print a smaller version (and are very brave), you should be able to print everything at once...
[attachment=2]Precariat-All.jpg[/attachment]

Please post photos of your models.

Thanks,

Cameron

https://precariat.us.to/ (Bounty!)

cameron

• Precariat Designer
Since I don't have a 3D printer, Here is a virtual version based on the .OBJ files.

[attachment=0]Parts.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Complete.jpg[/attachment]

Cameron