• Administrator
Place holder for introduction to The Ship

[attachment=0]Airship5-3view1080w.png[/attachment]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Swashbuckle_McAgora

YARRRRRRR

Stan

This sounds like a perfect example of a Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG), or what I've been calling a Big Heroic Audacious Project (BHAP) because I like the acrynonym better.  "Don't Worry, BHAPpy"

The pirate community could choose this, or a similar audacious project, to try to win our grand prize at BillionHeroCampaign.com.

Even if you don't win the funding to Build the Ship, you would certainly raise awareness of it and all that it means.

I wrote about this here:  https://steemit.com/bitshares/@stan/big-heroic-audacious-goals-bhags and plan to speak about it on Ernie's Phonix Rising radio show Wednesday, Aug 30, 2017 at 10pm EDT

Build the Ship!

cameron

• Precariat Designer
Have been working on this since Ernie asked Larken to build a 3D model in Blender. I've finally gotten it to a point where it looks like something. Haven't done much of the detailing. The guns are pretty basic and I couldn't figure out how to integrate the windows into the 3D mesh. Detailing can go on forever, so I figure I'd better get some feedback on what I did right or wrong before trying to do more.

It's huge! I tried modeling to scale based on the drawing and its 1033' long, 1093' wide, and 386' high (231' to top of the deck). I think I remember hearing "100 feet tall". It this a cargo ship, or a starship?

I haven't applied any materials to the surfaces (other than to show glass vs. metal). What style should the ship follow?

1. Enterprise D - A clean, shiny, pride of the federation (state) with no defects (pretty much what it looks like now).

2. Nebuchannezzar / Millenium Falcon - A (dirty) rebel ship. Held together by it's "loving crew".

3. Serenity - Ridden hard, put away wet. Minimal maintenance. Nearly falling apart.

4. Reaver Ship - Falling apart. Held together with human entrails & items of conquest.

Of course the more detail, the longer it will take to finish.

I'm not sure what to do with the tail (it needs a lot of work). Can someone sketch up a detail of the stern? Is it a wall of thrusters like a Star Destroyer? Or a giant door like a C-130? Or bunch of docking bays for shuttles to land?

Also not sure how the sail works. Made it a grid of solar panels that collapse into the proper shape. Included a pic of them expanded, but I don't think it's practical to capture sunlight on a curved surface. Was thinking something that opened like a Chinese fan could pivot toward the sun (in any direction). Maybe origami solar panels?

Please give some feedback. I mostly used the detail sketch to build from (thanks for making it). But once it was taking shape it looked a little different than Scott's final rendering. The wings look a little "fat", but could be useful if the ship is mainly for transporting cargo.

Attached some pictures... (can only attach 3 per post?)

[attachment=2]p01.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]p02.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]p03.jpg[/attachment]

cameron

• Precariat Designer
More pics...
[attachment=2]p04.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]p05.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]p06.jpg[/attachment]

cameron

• Precariat Designer
Last 3 pics...
[attachment=2]p07.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]p08.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]p09.jpg[/attachment]

cameron

• Precariat Designer
Added windows & more solar panels...
[attachment=1]p10.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]p11.jpg[/attachment]

derrick

Wow!

These are great. I've been hoping to have a 3d model to print.

Nice work!

cameron

• Precariat Designer
Thanks. I'm sure there will be a 3D printable version in the future. I'll need help figuring out how to prep it for a specific printer/technology, and if it should be all one piece, or something you put together (separate engine pieces, solar panels, etc.).

Made a rendering of the wings collapsed for "hypersonic mode" (and fixed an issue with the solar panels).
[attachment=0]p12.jpg[/attachment]

Ernest Hancock

Wow! Cameron,

We've been very busy and are only  checking in more (after the publishing of the 3rd Letter of Captain Marque we'll be spending more time on the Forum).

Lots of back end stuff being done and the art you've created is very very cool and just what we were hoping for. Thank you very much.

I have a request. We need to know the air displacement of the shell. This volume will determine how much it will lift. We'll need to measure the helium/hydrogen air bag volume needed to lift the craft without thrust if possible. The airfoil still needs to be maintained so that capacity is increased with forward thrust/lift.

Big step forward.

I hope you'll come on the radio show to talk about the work you've done.

Peace,

Ernie

derrick

It'll probably have to be multiple pieces, since there's no real flat surface.

I don't think that it should necessarily be a design consideration in blender that it will be 3D printed, we can break up the model afterwards.

There are 3D printer types that would be able to print it with less regard to the shape too, such as "powder bed" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_bed_and_inkjet_head_3D_printing )

cameron

• Precariat Designer
Quote from: "Ernest Hancock" post_id=125 time=1510067168 user_id=49

I have a request. We need to know the air displacement of the shell. This volume will determine how much it will lift. We'll need to measure the helium/hydrogen air bag volume needed to lift the craft without thrust if possible. The airfoil still needs to be maintained so that capacity is increased with forward thrust/lift.

Hi Ernie. I'm still listening to yesterday's archive. I'm glad you like it.

For cubic volume, I used the main "body" (without the movable wings, engines, "skull", or the tail).
[attachment=0]p13.jpg[/attachment]

At its current size, it calculates to 39,309,656 cu.ft. If you chop off the wings (fuselage only), it drops to 23,256,222 cu.ft.

Do airfoil's work at that scale? The wings are over 600' long. I'm not an engineer, but imagine you'd need extreme air flow to get lift from something that large.

I'm sure I'll be too nervous to be useful on the show. I'm very quiet (100% introvert). I'm the complete opposite of you on your show. But if you like, we can try an aftershow, or something where I don't have to worry about sounding horrible.

Thanks.

Ernest Hancock

https://www.google.com/search?q=lockheed+airship&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU2MLQr7XXAhVN32MKHVPICjQQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=987

If it moves it'll provide lift.

Thanks for the calc.

Aftershow, or just a podcast on Monday or even before with the guys while they are here.

The rear of the ship has rocket engines (hard to see in the schematic.

After 10 uses the SpaceX rockets (Merlin and the Raptor engines) go on the used market :)

Ernest Hancock

Donna Hancock, Producer <producer@DeclareYourIndependenceWithErnestHancock.com>

Please email Donna with your  contact info so we can get you on. It'll be fun.

Donna - 602 828 1819

Ernest Hancock

Question

What is the weight of 1 cubic foot of air?

Asked by: Jonathan

Answer

FINAL ANSWER: 1 cubic foot of air at standard temperature and pressure assuming average composition weighs approximately 0.0807 lbs.