Pirates Without Borders
Anarchy is only 62 miles away!

The Pirate Code

Doug

That is a good question. Why have a code at all? I don't know. Are we not adults? We need to put in writing how to treat each other? Certainly I am not offended at any other person's code. Silly, indeed.

You needed to read the Constitution before you smelled a rat?

I am offended. HAHAHA!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Eduardo Blomar 1679

Respectfully,

We have Codes for the same reason we have Flags, sir.

It is simply an issue of Trust.

E. B. 1679

Doug

And a simple(superficial) trust you will get, if you look to codes and flags to find it.

Peace

Doug

Eduardo Blomar 1679

Men can be animals, and moreso Pirates.

Captain Bartholomew Roberts became famous for his Code in 1671, which must be signed before boarding:

I. Every man has a vote in affairs of moment; has equal title to the fresh provisions, or strong liquors, at any time seized, and may use them at pleasure, unless a scarcity makes necessary, for the good of all, to vote a retrenchment.

II. Every man to be called fairly in turn, by list, on board of prizes because, they were on these occasions allowed a shift of clothes: but if they defrauded the company to the value of a dollar in plate, jewels, or money, marooning was their punishment. If the robbery was only betwixt one another, they contented themselves with slitting the ears and nose of him that was guilty, and set him on shore, not in an uninhabited place, but somewhere, where he was sure to encounter hardships.

III. No person to game at cards or dice for money.

IV. The lights and candles to be put out at eight o’clock at night: if any of the crew, after that hour still remained inclined for drinking, they were to do it on the open deck.

V. To keep their peace, pistols, and cutlass clean and fit for service.

VI. No boy or woman to be allowed amongst them. If any man were to be found seducing any of the latter sex, and carried her to sea, disguised, he was to suffer death.

VII. To desert their ship or quarters in battle, was punished with death or marooning.

VIII. No striking one another on board, but every man’s quarrels to be ended on shore, at sword and pistol.

IX. No man to talk of breaking up their way of living, till each had shared £1,000. If in order to this, any man should lose a limb, or become a cripple in their service, he was to have 800 dollars, out of the public stock, and for lesser hurts, proportionately.

X. The captain and quartermaster to receive two shares of prize: the master, boatswain, and gunner, one share and a half, and other officers one and a quarter.

XI. The musicians to have rest on the Sabbath Day, only by night, but the other six days and nights, not without special favour.

XII (3. Add optional article(s) here)

Fast forward a half a century.

Is Mankind any less capable of exhibiting its' animalistic tendencies than in 1671? Is he (or she) any less needed to be reminded that certain behaviours aboard ship are unacceptable and will be punished if engaged in?

Maybe.

That could be the reason for less rules and less specificity. Yet the need still exists.

We need to be able to see the flags of others from a safe distance - that's why they are there.

Communication devices. We need to see what that person believes in, and to which 'like minded' groups do they belong, and why?

Do I trust them? Is it safe for me to get closer to them? Can I trust them to trade fairly?

When you see The Jolly Roger you can put full faith and trust in it on face value.

No superficiality here,

Eduardo Blomar 1679

Doug

Yeah...so Blomy. I don't want to blow your mind or anything, but I am from hundreds of years in the future and...are you sitting down?...flags and codes still don't work. Yeah, I know. We are gonna have to dig deep and find a better way. No, money is not gonna solve this problem. ( hint...it is the problem)

Here's a glass of water. I'll let you catch up.

Peace

Doug

Eduardo Blomar 1679

I ask again: why are you here?

Doug

What would you do with my answer? Would that change anything? The choice is yours. I choose freedom.

Eduardo Blomar 1679

I feel this subject has been taken too lightly.

Flippancy has brought me to my limits.

PLEASE, either discuss the issue I postulate, with civility, or be silent.

I remain,

EB

Doug

ah...reasoning from a meme.

You have your reward.

If it is not the reward you seek, then you need to pay more attention.

I can not clear up your confusion.

We don't need to fly anywhere to get away from, they them those.

We don't know how gravity works.

we don't know how our eyes can see.

we don't know how the sun works.

Hubris abounds.

You want to have, rights, you must create.

We have infinite value, but we must pay attention to use it.

We must know who we are.

We are already Free.

Peace

Doug

Freedom is the effect. Are you the cause?

Davi

There's no contradiction here. Any pirate may acquire a ship and call themselves a captain. That right exists for all pirates. Owning a ship provides the opportunity to employ a crew, and to expel trespassers, but doesn't grant the right to crimp a crew into service, which no pirate possesses. Every member of that crew possesses the same right to acquire a ship and call themselves a captain, and to employ a crew, and to expel trespassers. Because it's their ship. Maybe they don't personally possess a ship at that moment, but they possess the same rights to acquire one, or to seize the opportunity whatever possessions they have acquired affords. So, every pirate has the right to acquire possessions and use them as they see fit. And no pirate has the right to seize the possessions of others and use them against their will. The difference in acceptable behavior aboard a ship is a function of the individual's relationship to the ship, not a difference of rights.

Davi

You may as well say individuals don't have equal rights because the one who acquires a burrito has the right to consume it, while the one who doesn't acquire a burrito doesn't. The point is everyone has the right to acquire a burrito, they just don't get to enjoy the benefits of that right until they actually do.